Sunday, June 15, 2008

Fathers Day


My father passed away 3 and a half years ago. As everyone gathers and celebrates Fathers day, I often take the opportunity to sit back and reflect on what dad meant to me. Dad would always be outside playing with my brother and I. He would help us practice in our sports such as basketball, softball, and baseball. He would do things with us instead of sleeping after he worked an all night shift. When we got home from school, he would be there to greet us, help us with homework, or just sit and chat. There wasn't a time when dad wasn't able to be there when we had games, practices, or field trips. I remember when I was in elementary school, we took a field trip to our state capital. Dad went along with us. Another time we took a field trip to the Gettysburg battlefield. Those are the only field trips I can remember a lot about. I think it is because dad was there with us. When I lost my children, my father cried as many tears as I have. My mother told me, he would often sit on the side of the bed and let his tears flow. He missed his grandchildren as much as I have. That was the very first time my mother has ever seen my father cry. Dad understood my pain, he shared my pain. I can imagine the celebration in heaven today. The celebration for the almighty father. The celebration with all the fathers who have passed before us.

Dear Dad,
Its been three and a half years since I have been able to sit and talk with you. Oh how I miss those days! You have sacrificed so much in order to provide me with the things I have needed and wanted. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about you and wish you were here with me. I know your granddaughters and grandson are right there with you, celebrating with you today. I love you and miss you!!

No comments: